Sunday, July 5, 2009

How to make very thick and curly hair that is of soft grain managable?

My daughter has very curly hair. I can brush it and it smoothes out very silky but how can I tame the curls without messing up the natural grain?



How to make very thick and curly hair that is of soft grain managable?

Well having very curly hair myself I can give you a few tips. First my mom used to always brush it and smooth it out and put it in 2-4 braids. Now that I'm older (22yrs), I've found the best way to handle my hair is to not fight with the natural curl. I do 1 of 2 things to my hair. When I want it back out of my face I put it in a ponytail using a boar bristle brush and product ( I like Brilliant Anti-Humectant Pomade) to smooth the top but not disturbing the curly ponytail. Or I comb it out when it's wet use a curl cream (I like Be Curly or Brilliant Universal Styling Creme, both from Aveda) I twirl some or all of the curls for definition let it air dry and do its own thing. Hope this helps!



How to make very thick and curly hair that is of soft grain managable?

I posted this on another question but same subject. Pretty much the same as everyone else, but I have not had luck with the sunsilk, dove or even Pureology Nano works which is very pricey.



----



I have the exact same hair type and have tried EVERYTHING including relaxing cremes, oils, high end products (I actually paid $100 for a conditioner that really did not help).



The one product that works for me and I seem to always go back to is Aveda Brilliant Styling Creme mixed with a little John Frieda Frizz-Ease Relax Texture Correcting Serum. After my hair is dry, I usually will lightly "pat" my hair with the Aveda Anti-Humectant Pomade to keep the outer layers smooth. Most other products make my hair poofy (even the new sunsilk "anti-poof" line, which I found ironic). I also put more product on the underside of my hair and straighten it as much as I can in order to weigh down without making the rest of my hair greasy. This probably only works if your hair is long / thick so that the top layer of your hair does not "soak up" the product and look greasy.



Also, I use Frederick Fekkai (sp?) apple cider rinse every few days to remove product residual which helps as well.



If all else fails, getting the underside ONLY of your hair chemically straightened really does work to make your hair lay flatter and you can still have curl on the top layer, just a looser, less poofy curl - key here is to not pull the straightner through to the ends as it will severly dry them out. Hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment